Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Today's Lesson Brought To You By Life!

Today's lesson is for me. Don't do other people's work for them and stay out of their business if you don't want to be invited into their world.

Okay, it's probably safe to say I'm a bit of a busy body. I don't mean to be just two things...1.) I hate watching people flounder when I know the answer and 2.) I hate not knowing the answers. Ugh! I will tell you this, however, from a disability perspective my colleagues never say oh that poor woman she has a chronic illness - poo poo. They are too busy passing their work off on me instead of doing it themselves! So today I helped with the company brochures, provided feedback to a student who isn't mine and I didn't even speak to (just spoke to the person who was SUPPOSED to talk to him) and put time in on a political campaign. Okay, that isn't fair I did agree to do that last one but please know none of these are my job. I do not get paid or promoted or even thanked for any of the above. Now I'm stressed and achy and whiny. So what's my lesson. Mind Your Business, girl!

I'm mixing my religions I know but one of the things that stand out for me about this day are the Taoism quote I sent to a friend. I admittedly was clowning him 'cause that's what I do, but I probably could stand to read and remember some of Taoism at the end of this day.
Water is fluid, soft, and yielding. But water will wear away rock, which is rigid and cannot yield. As a rule, whatever is fluid, soft, and yielding will overcome whatever is rigid and hard. This is another paradox: what is soft is strong.

So instead of sending a scathing email to the co-worker who probably forwarded my email instead of actually talking to HIS student....

Instead of getting into an argument with the chick about the print on the brochures (which really is hard to read)....

and

Instead of even telling you what I really think about the rest of those yahoos, I'm going to remember that none of this was even my business until I made it so. I'm going to be soft and yielding. Okay, maybe I'll just settle for being a little less of a busy body.

No comments:

Post a Comment