Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Change your words. Change your world.

I was going to write about something totally different tonight but I came across this while waiting for my software to update. It seems the difference in life sometimes truly is just a matter of the perspective that you take on what is going on around you. I've been in a bit of a funk lately. Well, I should call it what it is...I'm cranky. It's a stressful time of year at work and as much as I love traveling I have to say that trip took a bit of a toll on me. The trip, however, exposed me to a man named Urban Miyares. Urban Miyares is a disabled vet who is blind, has hearing loss, is considered a walking paraplegic and has a host of other disabilities. 

I personally, don't like doing that comparison shopping thing that people sometimes do....the "wow my life must be great because I don't have all of that" kind of comparing. I do get caught up in the other end of the comparison shopping though. Urban Miyares is a retired millionaire based on life choices he made and things he did following the Vietnam War - which would be AFTER the acquiring the disabilities. He now works as to promote people with disabilities to live to their fullest potential. He continues to make choices that put him way ahead of the game. My comparison isn't a he has a disability isn't it remarkable what's he has done. Mine is just, isn't it REMARKABLE what he has done?! What the heck am I doing?! A friend of mine keeps recommending that I read the book Crush It! by Gary Vaynerchuk. Based on his story of how he acquired his millions I think that Gary would be very proud of Urban Miyares. He certainly Crushed it!!

Today I told someone to stop whining and figure it out! I'm just horrible with the advice, or at least that's what the person I told that to is staying to himself about now. Seriously, though I think I could use some of my own advice. I've been a minute from being whiny myself all week. Sometimes I get so tired of having to hold it all together. Then other times I figure I'm one of the lucky ones. I have nine hundred things I want to do in this world and I think I have the potential to get most of these things done. Apparently, I can take this week to whine about not having things go my way or I can figure out how to change my words and change my world (although I still don't have the energy to Crush It!).

I found the video clip, by the way, on Urban Miyares' Facebook page. He's also on Twitter - although I suspect, based on his schedule, he has PR people helping with his online media presence. He is the ultimate Entrepreneur after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment