Thursday, May 26, 2011

Still Here


Still Here

been scared and battered.
My hopes the wind done scattered.
Snow has friz me,
Sun has baked me,

Looks like between 'em they done
Tried to make me

Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'--
But I don't care!
I'm still here!

~Langston Hughes 


There is something about this poem that speaks to me. I'm still here!! Can't get rid of me that easily! I'm still here! Through the pain. Through the humidity and the rain. I'm still here! Still here, waiting to see what tomorrow has to bring.

As far as days go, I have had easier ones. If I thought I could have stayed in bed all day I would have. I dragged through the whole day. I'm not complaining, well with the exception of the fact that I couldn't skip work and stay in bed. I'm not, otherwise, complaining because 1. I had a pretty good - drag butt day and 2. I'm tired because I spent last night, talkin, laughin, and livin with my friends. If I'm going to feel miserable on Thurs I like knowing it's because I was kicking it out late on Wed!

The thing about Langston Hughes poems is that he points out the difficulties, while bringing hope and a strong sense of resilience.  I think my day might be a little bit like a Langston Hughes poem - difficult but hopeful.

S.



No comments:

Post a Comment